Thursday, July 14, 2005

The secret to perfect melons

I bought a fabulous cantaloupe this afternoon. After recently purchasing several bland, mushy ones, I have finally discovered the correct method for picking a melon. The woman who was standing next to me in the produce department seemed to know her stuff (she was clearly going through the motions of a fairly detailed selection process), so I asked her how she picks a good one. Here's what she told me:

1) Look for a cantaloupe that is yellow-tinted on the outside. You want to avoid green.
2) The outside of the melon should smell like cantaloupe. If it doesn't smell sweet, it's not ripe yet.
3) If the store doesn't have any ripe ones, you can buy a green one and keep it for a few days. It will ripen on your countertop.
4) You want a round melon (not too many dents or flat spots) that is firm, with a little bit of give. It shouldn't be hard, but it shouldn't be squishy either.

4 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

The secret to perfect melons? That's easy.
1) Surgery!

Hahahahaahahahaha.

Man there is so many directions this can go.

Anonymous said...

"It shouldn't be hard, but it shouldn't be squishy either."

I hear you, sister.

Anonymous said...

RB, this may well be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

Round soft mellons make me happy. -- from Mr. Zing