Thursday, July 28, 2005

Burning Man: I don't get it

Why drive for days and pay hundreds of dollars* in order to do drugs and get naked with a bunch of people from the Bay Area? We can get naked and do drugs together ANY weekend. We can do it here, at home, with showers in close proximity! We won't have to spend money on gas! We'll conserve fossil fuels! We won't wreak havoc on the fragile desert ecosystem of Nevada!

The Burning Man website describes Burning Man as a "unique experiment." SFGate describes it as a "counterculture phenomenon." In its twentieth year, with more than 25,000 attendees annually, the Burning Man experience is neither unique, nor countercultural. Sorry to be a grouch, but I call it like I see it.

Stay home. Do some E, get naked, and light a sparkler in your backyard. Roll around in the dirt and don't shower for a week, if you feel the need. Then, donate your couple hundred bucks to a charity (may I suggest the Sierra Club and its fight to preserve fragile ecosystems), and call it a day.

*Tickets to Burning Man start at $250 this year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not all about getting naked and doing drugs. If you've ever been which sounds like you haven't, then you'd know that!

RB said...

Okay, what's it about then? I sincerely want to know.

I suspected this would be a controversial topic.

Anonymous said...

I hate the Burning Man.

Anonymous said...

I love Burning Man, and it's only because all my friends are lame and disadventurous like RB that I've never gotten to go yet.

RB said...

Hip E.: Always up for drugs and nudity.

Oh wait, I meant Hip E.: Always up for artistic expression and countercultural experimentation.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Anonymous, don't just say what it's not; explain what it is. Because it seems like our generation's Woodstock: starts off as something special, but gets turned into a lame cash cow of an event (see Woodstocks 94 and 99) with tons of people who think they're being totally different by being totally the same. So if it's not that, please explain it for what it is.

And Hip E.: get bent, bitch; you've never ONCE suggested we go to Burning Man.