Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Now accepting donations for a worthy cause

Yesterday, I made the unfortunate discovery that I have to buy a new laptop before August 9 (my first day of classes).

The business program at Berkeley requires that each MBA student have a personal laptop. I knew this before I submitted my application and expected it to be no problem since I own a laptop and use an even snazzier laptop for work. The work laptop already goes everywhere with me. I just assumed I could use it for school, as well.

True, I did have some small, shadowy concerns about the ability of my Mac to network with their mostly PC system. But I figured that ultimately there would be a way to make it work, since my laptop and its software are up-to-date, this is 2005, and we're living in the Bay Area.

I figured wrong. I finally got my hands on the two page description of personal computer requirements and there's only one sentence included about working with a Mac: "Sorry, Mac's are not supported." [sic]

It seems really strange to me that they won't work with Macs AT ALL. Aren't there some other industries out there (besides publishing) that prefer the Mac system? Besides having to come up with the money on such short notice, I also have to figure out how to work with a PC all over again. It's been at least six years since I last used one.

8 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

Yo, RB, when are you going to post about boobs again? That was funny.

RB said...

I don't think I ever have posted about boobs.

Turd Ferguson said...

Well then you tell me where I learned the secret to perfect melons.

Anonymous said...

HUGE KOCKERS. there, pliska should be satisfied.

i work on a Mac. in fact, all of Nike design works on Macs. However, all of Nike Marketing works on PCs. we share work, files, and servers back and forth all...day...long. Tell Berkeley to get it together, it's not that hard to make the two platforms "talk." you should stage a sit-in or something.

oodles said...

That bites! I agree with Baldwin... why can't they make it work?

Turd Ferguson said...

Huge Kockers? Um. No thanks.

Anonymous said...

ok, here's an advantage of a PC for you: on a Mac, you can't hit F7 to spell check knockers.

Anonymous said...

I have a PowerBook that's very new (one of the aluminum G4s) and all my software's up to date. Coincidentally, I also go to Berkeley. I've sat in Haas classrooms dozens of times with that PowerBook since I got it 18 months ago. Guess what it does: it works. Tell your new professor he's a liar and a pederast.