Sunday, July 31, 2005

I love Willie Nelson

I just watched a rerun of a 60 Minutes interview with Willie Nelson, and I can't get over how cool he is. His life is fascinating. They talked a lot about his early history (man he looked clean in his twenties!) and his commitment to Farm Aid. He once had a hog farm in Tennessee that burned down. He also spent at least five minutes of the interview discussing how much he enjoys marijuana. He said he needs it to relax and manage stress. I think I'm gonna read his autobiography.

I've seem Willie perform a couple of times. Each time I've gone to see him, he just sings, and sings, and sings. It's amazing. I actually don't like going to see live music all that much because you wind up standing there forever, the performers always start hours later than the show is supposed to start, they usually don't sound as good as they do in recordings, and they never seem to play for very long. And they do that stupid we're-done-but-really-we're-going-to-come-back-out-after-you-clap-for-us-to-show-us-how-much-you-love-us thing. I hate that. Have you ever noticed that they come back out even if the crowd doesn't clap that much? Anyway, none of that applies to Willie. At both of the shows I went to, he outlasted me. They were three hour plus performances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so pissed off that I didn't go with you guys last time. I WILL NOT miss another Willie Nelson show. Everyone, please let me know if he's ever going to play anywhere near here.