Thursday, July 14, 2005

I missed that day in Home Ec.

Today, instead of going to the gym, I mopped the kitchen floor. Something tells me that most RBlog readers are not avid moppers, so I'll just tell you -- it's a workout. I started off with a regular old mop, applying as much pressure as I could on the handle and going back and forth over the stains, over and over again. That didn't work very well and my arms were getting tired, so eventually I got down on all fours and scrubbed with a dish sponge until the dirt came off. I wiped all the soapy foam up with hand towels. By the time I was done, I was sweaty, exhausted, and covered in hot, dirty water. I then took a moment to lean back, relax, and have a cigarette. I'm pretty sure it was as good for the floor as it was for me.

I don't really understand the whole mopping concept. Maybe there's some element of the process that I don't know about. You fill up a bucket with soap and water, dip what is basically a sponge on a stick in the water, and then brush it around on your dirty floor. The water in the bucket quickly turns brown and dirty, becoming diluted floor grime, and you continue to wipe that dirt back on your floor. Then it dries. Is that floor really any cleaner than it was before you started mopping?

3 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

The key to mopping is doing is fairly often so the water doesn't get completely nasty. If you did it once a week, it wouldn't be too bad. The other key is get a swiffer mop. Those are awesome and easy. Yes, I am getting married.

oodles said...

The floor was beautiful! But, coming from my public health perspectve, smoking? Even one cigarette? You know I used to work in tobacco control, right... right? However, I loved that you mopped! :)

RB said...

There was no actual cigarette smoking. You hear that, Jeff?!