Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Linda speaks

My friends were in a scary car crash over the weekend. Visit the Jo-tel for a picture of the wreckage. It's terrifying to think that they were in that thing!

Here's Linda's exclusive story, in coverage you won't find on the Jo-tel*:

"Shark, Matt, Patsy and I got in a very serious car accident on the way up to Shasta. Around 11:30 on Thursday night we were driving in a rented PT Cruiser about an hour south of Redding. A roll of rubber something-or-others appeared in the road and there wasn't time to swerve to avoid it. When we went over it, it blew out the front left tire so we went up on our two right tires, then slammed back down on our two left tires, then the car fishtailed severely going about 75 mph, then we flipped left and rolled through the median oleander 2-3 times and ended up upside down about a foot away from the oncoming southbound fast lane traffic full of semis and sh*t. When we finally stopped rolling/flipping/whatever and stopped, it was dead quiet for a second and then Patsy yelled 'GET OUT!' and we all scrambled to undo our seatbelts above our heads and crawl out of the broken windows and run b/c we thought the car was going to explode. Very dramatic. The paramedics came and strapped us to those boards with collars and took us to the ER to get us all x-rayed up and stuff. Then at almost 3:00 in the morning (Patsy and I with no shoes b/c they flew off in the crash) we stumbled to the Days Inn and slept for a few hours until Reid came down from Redding the next morning and picked us up. We drove to the tow company, looked at the F*CKED UP CAR, got our stuff out of the car, and went to Shasta and had a totally totally fun time for the rest of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The car accident worked well on the lake: You're floating, you want a beer, you yell out, 'somebody throw me a beer.' If they don't respond, you yell back, Will Ferrell/belligerent/Harry Carey style, 'I was in a SERIOUS CAR ACCIDENT!' Same thing when calling a bed, last hamburger, etc.

We all walked away with only bruises and cuts and some neckaches. Very very lucky. Also very lucky we were all stone cold sober because the car looked like a party on wheels with several broken booze bottles (for Shasta). The whole scene stunk like burning rubber and metal and dirt and pavement.

Wear your seatbelts! They save lives!"

*Yes, I'm trying to bump up my Google rating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did she include the small, but I find amusing, side note about Hip E's need to pee while still strapped to the backboard? Something about the Doc just turning the whole thing on its side or something of that nature.

Anonymous said...

I really need to post about this on the jo-tel, but first I'll just clear up some misconceptions. I'm pretty sure we hit the pallet of unidentified material with the right wheel, sending us up on the left two wheels. I'm pretty sure the first thing said was me going "Is everybody okay?" Amazingly, I don't think any booze bottles were broken in the accident, although there were several bottles of booze and margarita mix on the highway next to the car. It's really amazing though, our injuries were similar to those of a thanksgiving touch football game. Then last night I think I might have fractured my hand skateboarding.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the doctor helped me pee while I was strapped to the board. It was amazing.

Anonymous said...

Fine, you were "awake" and "in the front seat" or whatever, so I'll take your word for it on the tires. But I don't think we rolled right, and I know there was a broken wine bottle: It spilled all over the roof of The Cruiser after first bonking Patsy's head and my ankle.

Anonymous said...

Them backboards sure is scary-like, because it feels like one's skull is broken. ER nurses should tell people it's the board, not their skull.