Sunday, August 07, 2005

Engineers are taking over the world

Orientation is over. I just survived 41 straight hours of continually having the following conversation, or one of a few variant versions.

Me: "Hi there! I'm Rebecca."

Classmate: "Hi, Rebecca. I'm __________. It's nice to meet you."

[handshake]

Me: "It's good to meet you, too. Are you nights or weekends?

Classmate: "I'm nights. Tuesday/Thursday."

Me: "Oh. [shoulder shrug and smile] I'm Monday/Wednesday. Too bad. So, what do you do?

Classmate: "I'm a ________________________*."

[*Plug in your choice of title from the list below (they're a real, representative sampling):

Software Design Engineer
Database Operations Delivery Manager
Assistant Professor of Naval Science
Technical Marketing Engineer
Consulate General of Spain
Hardware Design Engineer
Senior Financial Analyst
Advance Micro Devices Design Engineer II
Toxicologist
Technical Marketing Engineer
Chief of Pediatric Heart Surgery and Surgical Director
Engineering Manager
Engineering Program Manager and CDMA System Architect
Applications Engineer
Vice President of Engineering
Senior Manager, Software Engineering

Me: "Really? Well, I certainly have met a lot of engineers this weekend... [polite, forced laughter]"

No comments: