Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Would it kill me to slap on some lipstick?

Why is it that you always bump into people when you're late, flustered, and looking your most scraggly and run down? For some reason it doesn't bother me to look tired and crappy in front of people I see everyday, but running into someone I've fallen out of touch with when I have spent exactly 2.5 minutes preparing to leave the apartment is the worst.

This morning on BART, I ran into a guy who I used to have a fat, high school-style crush on. That, of course, meant that I was wearing I wrinkled shirt I picked up off the floor, no make up, and had not brushed my hair. I had showered and put on deodorant, so maybe I scored some points there.

Someday I will learn my lesson about always looking your best, blah, blah, blah. Grandpa used to admonish me for wearing baggy, ripped up jeans (college). He said I should dress up and wear skirts because he thought it would get me preferential treatment. Sounds horrible, but there's probably some truth to it. Grandpa wasn't exactly a feminist, I guess, but he knew his stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of preferential treatment did you want from your ex-crush?

RB said...

I don't know... maybe a "we should hang out some time" or a "hey, are you single yet?"

Anonymous said...

i've noticed recently that the wine/beer lady at new seasons assists me more readily if i've bothered to groom. twice i've walked in showered and well-dressed (no suit, just a nice shirt and peacoat) and she's approached me to help. but if i'm at all scruffy, no help at all.