Thursday, March 30, 2006

Best in the land...

...the mighty Woodrow Wilson High. Throughout the league, opponents hear our battle cry: fight! fight! fight! Victory for you, each loyal Trojan brave and true. For green and white we'll fight! fight! fight! Our loyalty forever Wilson High!

wilson-logo

Ahem. I've been singing the old fight song lyrics to myself all evening after receiving an announcement in the mail that my ten-year high school reunion will be held this August. I'm amazed they were able to track me down. How do these Classic Reunions Inc. people know where I live?

I'm not sure if I want to go or not. For me, it means flying back to Portland, which seems like a big outlay to hang with people I haven't seen in ten years. And to be honest, I'm not sure that I want to see people from high school (other than the ones I'm in touch with already). There's something nice about remembering everyone in their 17-year-old, not-fat-or-bald-or-alcoholic (at least not too alcoholic, yet) state. We all looked pretty good back then. Fresh faced. Full of potential.

I am also not immune to the freakiness about personal looks and achievements that reunions inspire. I am already envisioning being asked all those questions about my life (why haven't you met that special someone? when are you moving back to Portland?) that I don't want to talk about with people who I last spoke to when I was a cheerleader. Stuff like that is hard enough to discuss with my mom.

On the other hand, there are a couple of kids who I've lost touch with and have been wondering about. Portland is heavenly in the late summer, too. I also just found out that next year will be Woodrow Wilson High's 50th birthday -- maybe reason enough to show a little school spirit.

3 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

Say hi to Tom Baisch! That guy was really awesome.

Anonymous said...

you KNOW the FIGHT SONG??

RB said...

You say that like it's a weird thing.