Wednesday, March 15, 2006

AF does Match.com

Just because I said I'd never do it, doesn't mean I can't get vicarious thrills out of one of my friends doing it. Here is AF's first report on Match.com:

"I am the 3,454,910th person to join Match.com. I am also the 3,454,910th person to say, 'I can't believe I'm doing this. Really, I'm not this desperate.' But, much worse decisions have been made with a credit card in hand while drunk.

RB convinced me to open a free profile about a month ago, but I didn't pay it much attention afterwards. But last week I get an email notification. Someone had emailed me. Of course I got curious, paid the membership fee, joined, and subsequently read an email from a old friend: 'Ha- funny to see u hear. Good luck hunting.' That may be the most expensive email ever. 

Now that I'm a paying member and all, this last weekend I fixed up my profile so as to make it snazzy. Then I decided to search for and email a prospective mate. I found one that was cute and seemed especially interesting. Writing such an email is difficult, however. My first approach is as follows (and in no specific order): short, inquisitive, a little funny, and that's it.

Now I'm waiting for a response from my first internet crush. I hope she writes back. What has struck me as strange with this Match.com site is that I can see when she is online. And she was online this afternoon. So I know she saw my email. Which is strange information to possess. This all seems very weird. 

P.S. Things with K are iffy."

2 comments:

RB said...

I think you should ignore K for a bit. This will allow it to either die gracefully, or her interest will be renewed once she comes to miss your attentions.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that just married her Match.com mate. It can work.