Monday, September 05, 2005

Tip to "enhance balance"

Last week, at a career center workshop for school, they gave us a handout called "Techniques to Enhance Balance between Family, Life, Friends, Work, and now School." Supposedly the tips were all submitted by former students, attending the MBA program and also working full time.

The handout offers about six pages of suggestions. They vary in their usefulness, but I thought this one was interesting:

"5. Understand Your Frustration. Most frustration is actually self-directed frustration that is transferred to others in order to achieve self-preservation. If you're feeling frustrated a lot of the time, don't assume you've met a rash of incompetent people on the phone, at work, among clients, and in social settings. Find out why you're really frustrated with yourself."

I think it's probably true. Since I read the handout, each time I've been aggravated by someone or a situation, I've definitely been able to pinpoint something else that was really bugging me. I'm not sure what good it does to know that (or how it enhances my balance), but taking the time to analyze it objectively usually provides a nice little cooling-down period.

I suppose self-awareness is never a bad thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. Something about naming the feeling ("I am feeling stressed out") makes it seem temporary and fixable.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good tip to share with editors.