Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Geminis hate routine

I finally discovered a San Francisco radio station that doesn't make me gag: the new Max 95.7. They say it's new, but I'm not up enough on these things to know whether or not that's just a marketing ploy.

The gimmick behind this station is that they just play "whatever they want." I'm not sure where the tendency for radio stations to play music from only one genre or era came from, but I've always thought that it pretty much sucks. It's terrible primarily because it results in frequent song repetition, so no matter how much you like the type of music the station plays you wind up getting sick of the songs pretty quickly. Plus, who really likes only one type of music?

This new station claims to play pretty much any kind of music depending on their whims. I haven't listened enough yet to be able to speak to the truth of that claim, but I can say that the variety is refreshing when compared to the usual radio station routine. For instance, on my way to work this morning they played Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith, 1975), followed by Legs (ZZ Top, 1983), followed by Rich Girl (Gwen Stephani with Eve, 2004). Now, I'm not saying any of those songs are on my personal top ten list, but I did enjoy them all and was thrilled with the crazy spontaneity that the mix lended to my morning commute.

4 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

Sweet Emotion is a pretty good song. Its really annoying that the first 30-40 seconds of the song is 5000 times better than the rest of it.

oodles said...

I thought you didn't do music.

RB said...

I don't do music that I have to pay for or arrange.

Magdalena said...

Yeah, they have a station (owned by the same people) in LA like that called Jack FM. I believe they're in a few major markets.