Sunday, September 11, 2005

72 hours

Everywhere I turn there is media urging me to prepare for disaster. They say we're supposed to be able to survive on our own for 72 hours after a major catastrophe. After watching all the coverage of Katrina, and knowing that San Francisco is due for "the big one" any minute now, I think I'm going to start putting together a backpack like they say you should.

I notice that nowhere in the literature does it say you should have a shotgun in order to defend your person and property from gangs of looters. As a single woman, my biggest fear about a disaster hitting is being able to defend myself (if need be) in the chaos that would follow. The unique geography of San Francisco means we could be stuck here for quite awhile. There's no easy way out if the bridges go down.

I've been watching too much news.

1 comment:

oodles said...

I've been meaning to do some reserach on this. Considering that 2 of the 3 possibilities have occurred (terrorist attack and hurricane), I'm ready to brace for the third.