Tuesday, June 21, 2005

There's a point!

I just read in my calculus book that rational functions, functions expressed as the quotient of two polynomials, are used in environmental studies as cost-benefit models! "The cost of removing a pollutant from the atmosphere is estimated as a function of the percentage of the pollutant removed. The higher the percentage removed, the greater the 'benefit' to the people who breathe that air."

I've found new hope that I'll be able to do something with my calculus skills once I'm done with this class. Cost-benefit models should be handy in B-school, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think maybe I'm a little scared that you're so excited about this. But I don't want to throw a wet blanket over your b-school high, so I'll just say...wow! Why didn't I take calculus when I had the chance?

Anonymous said...

I agree! RB, your enthusiasm for this math thing is a little frightening for those of us who were art majors and continue to feign ignorance that math actually has a place in this world. I'm sure its valuable, though...how 'bout this...you figure out the numbers and i'll make them look good??

RB said...

I'm only excited because it's starting to seem like maybe I'm not suffering through all of this for nothing. Actually, I don't even think I would use the word excited.