Sunday, June 26, 2005

More adventures in calculus

We didn't get our quizzes back on Saturday, so I don't know how I did, yet. I'm not all that anxious to see the results, because I don't think I did very well. At least I'm not alone. I got to talking with some of the other students and it doesn't sound like anyone was all that confident about his or her performance.

There seems to be a sense of camaraderie building in the class now. We all discovered that one guy who sits in the back is taking calculus "just for fun." We were incredulous, then repulsed. Everyone was polite, but I feel like he's been ostracized by the larger group. The rest of us are bonding over our shared disgust for being cooped up in math class every weekend and the need to just get through it.

Plus, we're all increasingly amused with the instructor. With each class he lets his hair down a little more. He's pretty funny. We were moved into a new classroom with a chalkboard and he had a tough time working with the chalk. It wouldn't write on the board unless he pushed really hard and so it kept breaking. At one point he said to all of us, "You cannot imagine what torture it is to write with this. I have to expend so much energy! I am not as fresh as I was when I came here." Then he became thoughtful, "I do not what you to think that I am always unhappy. I am very happy person. But, when I smell that kind of marker I get high.* When I smell this chalk I sneeze." He sighed and added, "This is what I get paid for."

He also made a few jokes when we started applying calculus to economics questions. "Isn't it funny that a guy from a communist country is teaching you capitalist economics?" he asked us.

*a reference to dry erase markers

No comments: