Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sunday Night Blues (SNB)

I have an absolutely horrible case of them tonight, and it's a Tuesday. The unavoidable reality about a great weekend is that I'm going to feel miserable when it comes to a close. The necessary downtime on a Sunday night (in this case Tuesday) always leaves me feeling aimless, lonely, and dreading work the next morning. Years of experience have taught me that I'll be fine once I'm back in the routine of the week, but that does nothing to buoy my spirits while in the throes of the SNB.

Tonight I've been trying to distract myself by tearing through The Fountainhead. It's not terribly uplifting, however, so I resorted to baking brownies. A friend has drilled this simple formula into my brain over the past year: Brownies = a quick temporary antidote to any form of malaise. So far, he hasn't been wrong. Even when it doesn't work perfectly, it still makes the apartment warm, cozy, and chocolate-scented. Plus, any situation with brownies is usually better than the same situation with no brownies.

No comments: