Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Greendimes.com

I've been meaning to post about this website/service for months now.

Remember back when I used to blog endlessly about how much crappy junk mail I received and how long it took to shred it? Well, a group of Haas MBAs answered my prayers and started up Greendimes. It's a service that stops your junk mail and plants a tree for you every month -- for only $36 a year. It's a pretty sweet deal.

I signed up with Greendimes about a half a year ago. It took approximately three months to fully kick in, but the amount of stupid junk mail I get has been cut by at least 80 percent. There are a few mail order catalogs that are apparently unstoppable. The Pottery Barn catalog just won't quit. Supposedly there is a place on their website where I could report that sort of thing and they would take care of it for me, but I've been too lazy.

The last time I checked in at their site, they had just set up a gift membership so you can buy the service for other people. I know what everyone is getting for Christmas from me this year. The amount of needless waste paper this service prevents is phenomenal.

No comments: