Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Back in the game

The majority of my replacement cards (replacements for those that were swiped along with my wallet) arrived in the mail last night! This is very good news, as it is incredibly difficult to navigate day-to-day life without a debit card. Now the only outstanding items I have left to replace are my license and trust in my fellow man.

One alarming development: they've changed my debit card from a VISA to a MasterCard. MasterCard? Who uses a MasterCard?! I didn't think those even existed anymore. I called the bank to find out why they had switched me and the woman said that they're switching everyone. It's a total conversion at Washington Mutual. Look out wamooers -- MasterCard is coming soon to your wallet! She assured me that every place that takes VISA takes MasterCard, but I'm not entirely convinced. Does it really work everywhere?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

from experience of having the opposite happening to me (debit card changing from Mastercard to Visa), AND currently owning a mastercard (yes, they still make them - I believe Linda has one, too - on a different topic, Linda, they switched out the green raindrops and now i have some circular design thing that's somewhat sparkly) the only time you really have to worry about this is abroad. Great example - at the time when my card wasn't a VISA, it was pretty difficult getting money at some VISA only ATMs in costa rica. Linda and I both had Mastercards (if i remember correctly - and we had to go in the bank and get money from her credit card (foggy memory on this, i can't remember why we had to go in the bank). oddly enough, or ironically i guess, Wells Fargo switched from MasterCard to VISA debit cards about a month after our Costa Rica trip.

oodles said...

I've only ever used a MasterCard, as a credit card, not debit. I don't do debit cards-- something about the card taking money right our of your account sounds scary. I like the extra step in between to look things over.

The BCB said...

Yeah, dude, they still make MasterCard. Both my debit and credit cards have been MC for a decade. Never had anyone turn either one down. To my knowledge, Discover and Diners Club are the only cards that ever get the shaft. Not to fret!

Anonymous said...

What AC said. Wells Fargo had Mastercard then swtiched to Visa and I was NOT down with that.

We had to go to the sweltering Costa Rican bank because my Visa was a credit card not a debit card and it involved some wrangling for a cash advance with my rudimentary spanish. Aaaah. Pura Vida.