Thursday, May 05, 2005

They do make a nice couple

I was distraught as anyone when Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston split up, but I'm over it. I guess I had a lot of time to process during my convalescence.

Now, with rumors of second romantic African getaway circulating, I've found myself thinking that Brad and Angelina actually make a lot more sense together than Brad and Jen. I offer the following points, for your consideration:

1. All magazines and entertainment shows seem to agree that one of the big conflicts between Brad and Jen was that he wants kids and she doesn't. Angelina likes kids. She has a kid already -- a kid that he seems to be hanging out with a lot.

2. Brad and Angelina both devote a lot of time to global humanitarian organizations. She's a UN Ambassador, I think. He just finished a tour to promote AIDS awareness and economic reform in Africa and has been affiliated with groups like Family Health International in Ethiopia. I don't follow these things closely, but I haven't heard about Jennifer having a strong philanthropic streak.

3. Brad and Angelina look better together than Brad and Jen did. I'm by no means slamming Jennifer Anniston's looks. She's got a cute, girl-next-door kind of beauty and hair that's the envy of every woman I know. However, every aspect of Brad Pitt's physical appearance is so mind-bogglingly perfect that I almost wonder if he's supernatural. Seriously, have you ever taken a good look at one of his close-ups? I can't even think seriously about him in terms of being sexy or develop a star-struck crush, because there's something a little eerie and intimidating about how flawless he is. One might argue that Angelina Jolie is the female counterpart to that perfection. She has the same type of classic, jaw-dropping good looks -- though personally I think Brad's beauty is just a smidgen little more amazing. It could be argued either way.

If you look at pictures of Brad with each woman you can see that Angelina is more his match in terms of looks alone.

4. Angelina and Brad both have a freaky, psycho streak in their personalities, while Jen has always been extremely mainstream. Remember that Angelina made out with her brother in public and used to wear a vile of Billy Bob's blood around her neck? Brad used to be criticized for never bathing and has a penchant for choosing disturbing, edgy roles like his characters in Seven, Legends of the Fall, or Fight Club. Jen is still best known as Rachel, and people were shocked when she did The Good Girl, which really isn't that risky of a role, if you think about it.

Yes, there are many of reasons why Angelina and Brad seem to be a better match. I think we were deeply upset about the Jen/Brad split, because it was comforting to think that the most attractive man in the universe would be so devoted to the idea of marriage and family. Now I suspect that his interest in Momma Angelina is probably just a different way of expressing those values.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. Brad doesn't seem anywhere near as freaky as Angelina, and Angelina, while gorgeous in unusual ways, doesn't come near the physical perfection of Brad.

Anonymous said...

Brad Pitt always seems very humorless to me.

Clooney or Pitt? I say Clooney.

Anonymous said...

no way. i'd take rosemary, even though she's dead, over dude anyday