Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Product review: Glisten, Weightless Spray Shine by MOP

There are few quicker ways to get a day off to a bad start than by committing the painful amount of time it takes to wash, style, and blow dry your hair, only to finish up and realize that somehow the product you chose made your hair look dirtier than when you started. If you're me, by the time you get done you are 1) late, 2) feeling gross, 3) pissed off about wasting money on an expensive product that made your hair look greasy, 4) remorseful over the 45 minutes* you took to style your hair when you could have just put it in a ponytail like every other day. Dirty hair in a ponytail looks better than styled hair with too much product.

That was exactly how my morning started when I first tried Glisten, Weightless Spray Shine by MOP. I've used some other products by MOP that I liked, especially their root volumizer. I was attracted to the promise of shine and weightlessness. To me weightless implies non-greasy. I was wrong. The stuff does have a fair amount of oil in it. Once I realized my mistake, I read the ingredients and discovered that it is actually lanolin and coconut oil.

After living with the stuff in my hair for a day, I realized that this particular product does have promise. It did make my hair really soft and shiny. The problem lies in the complete lack of directions about how to use it. The bottle reads, "Dispense in small amounts and add product to desired finish." How helpful is that?! Not very. Since the bottle is a spray bottle (picture non-aerosol hairspray), I incorrectly assumed that one should spray it directly onto one's hair before blow drying. Now I'm thinking that I should have actually sprayed in on my hands, and applied the stuff only to the ends of my hair after blow drying. It will make the ends look shiny and polished, and I'm pretty sure it will prevent fly-away frizziness.

By the way, MOP stands for Modern Organic Prodcuts.

*I have a lot of hair. It takes me a long time.

No comments: