Thursday, April 28, 2005

Strange linoleum phenomenon

Several months ago, before we got our washer and dryer, Nadia and I cleaned the laundry room. We moved everything out of the room in order to mop the floor, and in so doing noticed these huge purple stains on the off-white linoleum floor. The stains looked like someone had spilled red wine in the corner where we keep the garbage can and recycling tubs and and left it to sit. Regardless of how much we scrubbed, we couldn't really get them to come off, so we figured what the hell -- it's only the laundry room. We promptly forgot about them.

Today, while I was washing sheets, I accidentally kicked up the throw rug I had put in the room after we moved in the washer and dryer. I discovered that the linoleum under the throw rug is stained the exact deep purple wine color as the stains under the garbage can. When I oringinally put the rug down, that area of the floor had not been stained or marked. The purple stain outlines the shape of the rug perfectly, like a shadow. I also noticed that the stains that were by the trash are almost gone. There is still a little bit of purple, but it's very faint. I can only assume that is because the trash and recycling tubs get moved at least once a week.

What would make linoleum light sensitive? Is there some sort of wine-colored fungus that grows in the absence of light? The weirdest thing is that we have the same linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom and there are no purple stains there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wine on the floor? Has Magda been over there?

Anonymous said...

It was probably Tom DeLay's fault

RB said...

I apologize for this blog being so unbelievably boring. I've been extremely sick this week -- some respiratory thing. This is the first time I've been out of my bedroom in 48 hours.

Anonymous said...

Its a lot more interesting than law school, especially my law school finals. Booooooo.

Anonymous said...

I think you should make an art project out of it. Put different shapes down on the linoleum and photograph the purple blobs that result.