Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Product review: Trader Joe's Indian Fare Punjab Choley

The box reads, "From the region of Punjab, this is a traditional Indian recipe of chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, and ginger in a spicy aromatic sauce." Inside the box comes one of those little silver pouches that Trader Joe's seems to be so fond of packaging saucy, easy-to-reheat meals in.

I wanted to try the TJ's choley because Nadia's family is Punjabi and she has told me about her mom making it. Sometimes she talks about trying to make it herself, at our apartment, but I haven't seen any attempts at that yet. I also brought a box home for Nadia to test.

Nadia's comment was, "It was so spicy, I couldn't even finish it!" She says her mom's version is much less spicy, and in fact not really spicy at all unless someone requests it that way. She added that her mom sometimes puts potatoes in it, too.

You're supposed to eat choley with roti, which are like Indian tortillas. I didn't have any roti, so I ate mine over basmati rice. Nadia, is right. It is super spicy -- too spicy to be entirely enjoyable. I also would have preferred it to be a little saucier, but I'm not sure it's actually supposed to be saucy. I just would have liked more sauce.

All in all, I'm not convinced this is one of Trader Joe's better quick dinner options. I'm also not sure if it's worth all the gas that chickpeas inevitably produce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No offense to anyone, but doesn't "Punjab Choley" sound like something a Mexican gangster would call someone in "Blood In, Blood Out"? P.S. Have you tried any of the "Amy's Kitchen" vegetarian indian food microwave dishes? Some of them are pretty damn good. I just wish they would make them with meat.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Just picked up another TJ's Indian meal...something Paneer. Will let you know if it's too spicy and/or gas-inducing. I was looking forward to it, but now I'm a little worried.

Anonymous said...

You should try the frozen risotto with asparagus. Delicous, quick and easy, and just 300 calories in half the bag (although that same half bag does have almost 15 grams of fat). I ate it last night with a piece of TJ's indian flatbread with a slice of cheese for a 550 calorie dinner. Yes, calories are my current obsession.

poppus said...

Agree that it's surprisingly spicy, but it's hardly inedible. My main issue with the choley is the saltiness, which might not be so worrisome if I was only eating half a pouch (not likely). It's especially good topped with chopped onion and cilantro.

Not as keen on the other IF offering I tried--the potato-heavy one that mentions street vending on the box? Has that smoky flavor I associate with hotdogs (and have encountered in chicken tikka masala at restaurants). Bought the paneer but haven't tried it. Am hoping it's not too soupy.