Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Product review: Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken

I tried a new TJ's product tonight: Mandarin Orange Chicken. This is one of their freezer items and it comes in a big bag. The wrapper says you have to bake it in the oven, but it seems like you could swing it with a microwave. I intend to experiment further. At any rate, I followed the instructions on the wrapper and the results were impressive. The chicken was crunchy (only a little bit greasy) and the sauce was tart and citrusy without tasting artificial. I had my orange chicken with brown rice, and it was a perfect combination. The best part is that the sauce comes in separate little pouches, so you can add only the amount you want. A downside is that it's not packaged in a way that is conducive to having only one serving at a time. It's easiest just to cook the whole bag, and then you pretty much eat the whole bag and feel like a fat pig.

No comments: