Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Embracing new technology

Two technological miracles have recently joined my life. They're not really new, just new to me: the HP 12C financial calculator and instant messaging. One of these new toys is working for me and the other is working against me.

Promoting my general well being is the HP 12C.

hp 12C

I never thought I would say it, but financial calculators are freakin' amazing. I just reread that last sentence and realized that I am the biggest dork in the universe, but at this point the HP 12C and Finance Tutor James are only thing standing between me and a finance-related panic attack. If you know any four of these five factors:

periods
interest rate
present value
payment amount
future value

The HP 12C will automatically give you the fifth number. It even displays this little "running" screen for awhile that implies it needs to think about such a tough problem and you might not be a complete idiot for needing to use the calculator in the first place.

Meanwhile, instant messaging is turning me into an unproductive
sloth -- but what a guilty pleasure! Anyone in grad school should definitely consider downloading the IM business, because it enables you to have complete conversations about the professor, the lecture, other classmates' outfits, your date last weekend, what you want for dinner, etc. during class, and the whole time you kinda look like you're taking notes. Please no comments about the fact that I should be taking notes. I know I should be taking notes.

If you're on AOL Instant Messenger, please send me your special little IM name immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be taking notes.

Turd Ferguson said...

Whats even more fun is when the Professor asks a question you aren't paying attention to and then calls your name to answer it but you were busy IM's and all you can say is "um...can you repeat the question", which everyone in grad school knows, students and professors alike, translates into "i was not paying attention at all."