Sunday, January 15, 2006

Bucky's big day and Becky's long day

This day has been one of the most exciting and one of the most long and boring in recent RB history, all at the same time. It started a little before 6 am, when Clare called to tell me that her water broke and they were in the hospital waiting for the baby to come.

I proceeded to drink coffee, study, blog, do house chores, read, talk on the phone, read more, and study some more, all the while waiting patiently for news of Bucky. I was surprised by how completely distracting it was to know that across the country one of my best friends was going through one of the biggest events of her life. I was anxious all afternoon and there wasn't much I could do to get my mind of off it. I couldn't leave the apartment. It was a struggle not to call them every two seconds to check in to find out if anything had happened. Time ticked slowly by...

Ross called a little after 7 pm. Everyone is happy and healthy and Clare is now the mom of a baby boy, who, for the time being, will continue to be known as Bucky. They haven't settled on a boy name, yet, and are still discussing the options. Though I know that Clare will not approve, a part of me hopes that we can continue to call him Bucky for awhile. Maybe just until age five? I've become attached to the nickname over the past months and I feel like it's served Bucky well, like a good luck charm.

3 comments:

RB said...

Obviously, it was a much longer day for Clare and Ross. I do appreciate that.

oodles said...

Yeah for Aunty Becky! I know the feeling of waiting and waiting...

Anonymous said...

How about "Buck"?