Saturday, October 15, 2005

Revenge of the cell phone

I had a chat yesterday with Annie about a recent cell phone drama (long story short: delete the phone numbers stored in your old cell phone before giving it away). During the convo, I mentioned to her that my cell phone is getting so old that I'm a little embarrassed about it. It still works fine, but does not make me look hip or tech savvy. No, I'm not really either of those things, but it would be kinda nice if my cell phone made me seem like I was.

I told Annie that even though my phone has gone out of style, it still seems wasteful to cough up the money for a new one when the truth is that I would never use any of the fancy new features that come on the phones, anyway. I talk on the phone. That's it. I don't even have text messaging and that is fine with me.

I obviously hurt my phone's feelings by telling Annie these things. As soon as I hung up, it started beeping in no regular pattern, flashed a bunch of lights and coding on its little screen, and promptly deleted all of the phone numbers stored in my phone book. It seems fine now. I can't really call anyone though, because I don't have anyone's number. There is a fair amount of distrust left between us. I suspect it might just be waiting for me to start re-entering phone numbers so it can delete them all again, or worse.

Perhaps this development has provided the motivation I need to go out and get a new phone? I really like the looks of the new, pink Razr, recently featured in Us Weekly.

pink phone

I suppose I could get any old phone and snap on a pink face plate. All I really want is one of those Bluetooth set-ups so I can have that little, wire-free ear piece. My mom and Jeff are trying to peer pressure me into dumping Sprint and signing on with Verizon, so we could talk free.

What do you guys think? Does anyone absolutely love their phone or provider?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest: I've had T-Mobile for about 15 months now, and I've never had a problem. I went from Sprint to AT&T to T-Mobile, and of the three it's by far been the best with T-Mobile (AT&T is basically the worst company on Earth - and Cingular has made it no better; just ask Johnny D).

And I love my phone: Motorola A630. It's what's known in technical circles as "the shit".

D. said...

Yea, Cingular sent me to collections over a bill I paid.

oodles said...

I agree with thrill. I went from Sprint to AT&T to T-Mobile too, and I've stuck with T-Mobile the longest. And, it seems to work pretty well in our place.

Anonymous said...

Here's another rec for T-Mobile. I've been with them for three or four years now, without a single problem. In fact, I've been able to convince them to give me newer, nicer phones for free, and to give me access to my account, which isn't in my name (it's in Sean's name). Whenever I've had to call customer service, an intelligent, helpful, sane person always answers my call.

Also, they're cheap! You can basically talk as much as you want for $40/month (1000 anytime minutes, which I've never exceeded, and I don't have a land line).

I suspect that their coverage might not be as great as some companies that charge more, but I trust that T-Mobile is growing and will expand their range as far as possible.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Oh, and if you do sign with T-Mobile, tell them I sent you.

Anonymous said...

I have Sprint and I've never had a problem.

Anonymous said...

Becky is a yuppie!!!