Sunday, October 23, 2005

Interesting tidbit

From my marketing textbook:

"If the world were a village of 1,000 people, it would consist of 520 women and 480 men, 330 children, and 60 people over age 65, 10 college graduates, and 335 illiterate adults. The village would contain 52 North Americans, 55 Russians, 84 Latin Americans, 95 East and West Europeans, 124 Africans, and 584 Asians. Communication would be difficult, because 165 people would speak Mandarin, 86 English, 83 Hindi/Urdu, 64 Spanish, 58 Russian, and 37 Arabic, and the rest would speak one of over 200 other languages. There would be 329 Christians, 178 Moslems, 132 Hindus, 62 Buddhists, 3 Jews, 167 nonreligious people, 45 atheists, and 86 others."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are Christians really more numerous than Moslems or Hindus? Are they almost twice as numerous as Moslems? I thought Islam was the world's largest religion...

Turd Ferguson said...

whats the difference between non religous people and atheists? do the non religious people just not care enough to be labeled an atheist? Anyway, I wouldn't want to live in that village. I don't speak Mandarin.

Anonymous said...

Atheists beat college grads! Progress!

Anonymous said...

There is a huge difference between an athiest and a nonreligious person. The nonreligious person says "I don't know" and the athiest says "I do!"

Turd Ferguson said...

We're all wondering when you are going to say "I do."

Anonymous said...

I've seen that whole thing squeezed in tiny fonts onto bumper stickers before. I was going to wonder out loud who has time to read all that when they're behind your car, but then I remembered what traffic is like here. Never mind.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that's an accurate depiction of what an atheist says, Linda.

oodles said...

Way to go Hindi speakers!