Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to school

This week is back to school for me. I've been thinking a lot about how happy and gleeful all y'all who are not headed back to school right now must be feeling. Amongst you: Turd, JT, Scotty, Julia, and all my Haas cohorts who managed to wrap up their MBA requirements last summer. How I envy you!

Actually, it's not that bad. The classes I'm taking are interesting and I dig the professors, especially the young, funny, intellectually hot one. It's just rough getting used to the 9am to 11pm work to school schedule again. After a week or two I will be so sleep deprived I won't notice it anymore. Nor will I notice that my underwear are on inside out or that I haven't checked my voicemail in eight days.

This back to school season has been a touch more exciting than years past, because my little friend Sam started kindergarten on Monday. Needless to say, it was an exciting event for all. Watching him go through the excitement of picking out a "big kid" backpack (the backpack is totally rad -- dark green camo print with florescent orange accents) and then getting the jitters the night before and deciding all the other kids would think his backpack was stupid and make fun of him for it brought back a lot memories. Being new to this de facto parenting thing, I forgot to take pictures in the morning on his first day of school (will he be able to claim negligence later in life if he doesn't have a photographic record of his first day of kindergarten?), but I do have this to offer up -- the Grattan Elementary school song...

I'm Happy

It will beat all your expectations, I promise. I think it might make the Top 40 next week.

5 comments:

Inga said...

I love the song. I'm going to play it every morning before I start work but WHILE I'm doing my calisthenics.

Anonymous said...

can you take pictures next week and pretend they're of his first day? i need to see pictures of sam. i miss him.

RB said...

He misses you, too, but to be honest, he misses The Dude more. Last weekend he was asking me when we get to see The Dude again.

RB said...

Actually, what happened is we walked by a guy with a dog in the Columbia Gorge and Sam gleefully announced, "That dog looks like The Dude!" Then he asked me when we get to see The Dude again. Meanwhile, the guy with the dog was laughing hysterically. Moral of the story: it's still the best dog name ever.

Anonymous said...

Hey, screw you, Sam!