Monday, July 16, 2007

Send an email instead

Sometime over the last six months I have developed a slight phobia related to checking my voicemail. I hate checking my voicemail and will put it off for completely unacceptable amounts of time... days... occasionally weeks. Is it possible that in my late twenties I have acquired an entirely new social disorder?

This problem definitely started with my work voicemail, which is understandable since usually the messages waiting there for me are from someone who either makes me nervous, who I don't want to talk to, who have to say no to, or are in regard to some complicated matter that I'm not sure what to do about. Probably only 10% of the calls that come into me at work are from someone I'm excited to talk to, and because of the caller ID I pick those up, so there's no voicemail from them. Unfortunately, the phobia has now also spread to my personal voicemail. I absolutely dread checking any of it. I'm not sure why -- pretty much everyone who calls me on my personal number is someone I actually want to talk to.

Hopefully, this is a temporary phase and admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery. Maybe I need to attack this on a behavior modification level and have everyone call and start leaving extremely positive, reinforcing messages, so I get excited about checking voicemail rather than apprehensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. It takes so damn long to lisen to your voicemails, even if there are only one or two. Also my phone is a piece and it won't tell me about voicemails sometimes until a day or two later. Mostly though it's just that the stupid menus take so long.