Monday, April 03, 2006

AF has a phone date

AF seems to be making some progress on Match.com. He sent this update today:

"I made plans to talk to a person from Match.com the other night. She is one of the first persons I started to trade emails with from the site. They were well-written and she seemed pretty interesting (lots of travel, enjoys the outdoors, now a science teacher), so I was excited to finally chat with her. Overall, though, it was a strange experience. She suggested we talk Saturday night, after 7pm, which seems like an odd time for a phone-date. Why is she not out on a Saturday night? Better yet, why am I not out on a Saturday night?

I called her and we began by chatting about our spring breaks. I got a full run down on every day of her trip to British Columbia. It seemed like too much info. I heard many stories about her teaching job, and again lots of long stories. I tried to ask good questions about her, but did not get many questions from her about me. That was a put-off. After an hour of conversation, I was ready to get off the phone.

In hindsight, the call seemed like a perfect example of the importance of first impressions. She is a nice person and not uninteresting. However, there wasn't much of a connection, so a second call or even meeting for drinks is not in the cards. I suppose that's the beauty of Match.com -- it never matters if any particular person doesn't work out, because there are many other possibilities available at the click of a mouse.

Next up: a dinner date with the old friend who lured me onto Match.com, and possible drink dates with two other Match people."

No comments: