Monday, September 24, 2007

ARC + RB

I was just accepted into the Berkeley Board Fellows, an opportunity set up through the Haas Non-Profit Management program that allows MBA candidates to serve on the governing board of a local non-profit. "During the school year Fellows work closely with board members and executive directors, serve on board committees, attend full board meetings, and participate in special events and projects. Essentially, Fellows act as non-voting members of the board."

Should I choose to accept the position, I would be working with ARC Associates out of downtown Oakland. ARC is an organization that provides tutoring about 1,000 students in California, including helping with GEDs for migrant workers and organizing charter schools. It's a pretty good match, in terms of mission, as I had expressed an interest in organizations working to improve the quality of public education in California. I haven't heard of ARC before, though, so I have a little homework to do.

To be honest, I really wasn't expecting to get this fellowship. I'm a little dumbstruck... and totally excited! I hope we publish a "Boards for Dummies."

No comments: