Thursday, June 22, 2006

I will beat you, jet lag!

I think I may have finally done it -- yesterday may have been the breaking point. Since returning from the trip, I haven't really slept more than a couple hours here or there. The effects of not sleeping over a period of a week or so are pretty amazing. I was feeling hazy and without any attention span, almost like being a little tispy all the time (then again, maybe that's not so different from the way I feel normally). I kept forgetting things, like what I had walked into the kitchen for.

A colleague mentioned to me that he had once had such bad jet lag and slept so little that he started slurring his words and could barely function. He was supposed to be working, so he wound up trading a copy of The Satanic Verses for a valium in order to sleep. I think he said he was in Jerusalem.

I was finally able to get my first full, normal night's worth of sleep last night. And that came right on the heels of a four-hour late afternoon nap. Not sure how it's possible, but I still feel pretty tired... think I just need to get a little coffee in the system.

No comments: