Thursday, June 22, 2006

e-love

These days, it seems that everyone who is anyone is dating online. I mean, I've always known a handful of friends who were testing the waters, but right now it seems to be that every person I speak to is on either Match, Craigslist, eHarmony, or IndianMatrimonials.com.

This Slate.com article about the state of Internet romance is pretty funny and worth reading. I'm shocked to learn that 17% of online daters have found long-term relationships or marriage through the Internet... Seems high.

In other news, one of those friends who decided to try it out received the following email from a potential match (I guess it's supposed to be a pickup?):

"Here's a couple celeb jokes I made up:

Britney's guide to going out with your baby:
You could carry your baby with both hands. But why should your baby be lonely? Carry your baby in one hand and your foofy dog in the other. To economize further, have the baby ride the dog so you can carry a drink in the other. And why stop at high heels? Why not try stilts or skis?

TOM: Kate, I gave you a ton of money and named my plane after you, what do you expect, real intimacy and acceptance of who you are?
Katie: Why can't you be like the guy I saw in the movies? Was the marriage proposal just a ruse to get me to produce you a male heir?
TOM: Yes, did it work?

Hoped you like the jokes. Email me if you want."

Kind of painful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first skimmed over this post, I thought that Becky wrote those jokes as part of her post. Luckily for Ms. R I re-read the post.

Anonymous said...

hey, that's the email i sent a prospective date!