Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Networking by the pool

Next month I'm headed to one of my company's seasonal sales conferences. This one is in Sarasota, Florida, at the Ritz-Carlton. I'm looking forward to the trip, because even though Sarasota isn't exactly exotic, it is sunny and beachy. That goes a long way with me these days.

From what I've been able to gather, there's not a lot of leaving the hotel complex during the week. There are meetings scheduled each day in various hotel conference rooms, and at night there are events at the restaurants and bars in the complex.

One of the key functions of the conference is to network internally -- get to know colleagues from other departments and offices and establish a rapport. At least that's much of the reason they're sending me, a relatively new editor. I hear a lot of this networking happens poolside, over cocktails. I'm trying to picture this, and honestly, I'm having a hard time with it. Maybe it's because the concept of hanging out with coworkers in bathing suits makes me a little anxious.

Talking about event planning or publicity opportunities with no clothes on (come on, a bikini is essentially underwear) seems rough. And the mental image I'm getting imagining some coworkers their swim gear is not good, either. Have a become a prude?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. You need to hang out at the Jo-tel more. Let's go camping.