Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Men and their hair

Dudes, I'm curious... how much do you pay for haircuts? I got into a debate about this the other night, and my opponent was arguing that no "normal" guy spends money on their hair. However, my experience tells me that when it comes to hair there are three categories of men:

1) Those with buzzers who cut their own hair, spend next to nothing on it, and care very little how it looks.

2) Those who got to a barber (this is usually $25 or less).

3) Those who go to a stylist, might be described as "metro," and are usually very well groomed (stylist = around $40 to $50 a visit).

I don't really have a feel for which group is the largest, though. What do most guys spend on their hair? Leave a comment and let me know. Tell other guys to leave comments too, because I suspect I'll need a fairly big sample to be able to draw any convincing conclusions here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Load goes to the same guy that cuts my hair, but he only charges $20. So I'm not sure what category that puts him in.

Anonymous said...

sean is in category #1.

Anonymous said...

Ross and I go to the same place, depending on the person it's $25-30.

Anonymous said...

i go to rudy's barber shop. it costs $17, and i tip $3. i go about every 6 weeks.

Anonymous said...

hmmm Baldwin cuts his own(and several of your Portland male fan base)however he is also kind of anal and asks me weekly what he should do with his hair. I really have no idea where that puts him. But his clips broke last night. I guess that will be a helpful factor. Will it be to The Fred Meyer or to the salon?

Anonymous said...

I go to Gary, Shark and I's stylist, and he charges $25 and claims that he's married, thereby insinuating that he's not gay; but really, I don't think he's fooling anyone.

Can you do some editing on that sentence and give me something better than "the stylist of Shark and I"? I don't like "Shark's and my" either. If I was talking I would say Shark and I's most of the time and I wouldn't even feel bad about it.

Anonymous said...

It's "Shark and my," because you would normally say "Gary, my stylist."

(When typing that sentence, I accidentally typed "Gay, my stylist." So Freudian.)

RB said...

I need to find at least one dude who pays over $40 bucks to have his hair done, or I am really going to lose this argument badly. Someone must know someone...

RB said...

I spoke with my hair lady on Friday night. She charges $45 for a man's hair cut and says many male clients pay her $60 each time, with tip. She estimates she has 300 clients total and 25% of them are male. She also said that a lot of these dudes come in every three weeks on the dot.

Yes, her salon is in the Marina, but I think it should still count.

D. said...

I regularly pay about $50 for a hair cut, by regularly, though, I mean about every 4-5 months. I value a haircut that will grow out a little bit ans still look OK.

Cali Thais said...

WOW, Johnny D.... I didn't know you had to pay to look that good.

I pay $1 to my Cambodian barber Sambun. He charges 2,000 riel (50 cents) and I tip another 2,000. That's a 50% tip. I just keep praying that he doesn't cut me with the razor he uses to fine tune around the nape of the neck. Usually I remember to ask for a new razor.