Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Flight canceled, wedding update delayed

My flight from PDX to Oakland was cancelled on Monday because a bird flew into our engine. However, they didn't just cancel the flight. They decided to make us watch the plane service dudes fiddle with the plane for over four hours (the plane was parked outside the window, taunting us with it's seeming availability) and THEN they canceled the flight. And THEN we had to wait in a line of about eighty people for two customer service people to rebook us each individually on alternative, later flights. At the end of the day, it took me 12 hours to get from Portland to San Francisco, including a good three hours spent in Seattle. I finally arrived home around 10:30 pm and that is why you didn't get your precious wedding update.

To compensate me for my 12 hours, Alaska Airlines did give me a $25 voucher good for a discount on the next ticket I purchase. Oh yeah, they also gave me a $6 voucher, good towards a meal at any a PDX food vendor. I restrained myself from pointing out to them that the last time I checked, 12 hours of my time was worth at least (AT LEAST) $500 on the open market.

By linking this experience with my return-from-Rome-JFK-fiasco, I have concluded that I am jinxed when it comes to air travel. I'll be staying local for as long as is humanly possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that means you make about $8300/year. Wait, that doesn't sound right. In any case.. subtle bragging about salary - isn't that a class offered in the 2nd year of B.School?

Anonymous said...

you should have called, i'm sure britt and i would have gladly left the horrid job of packing to come get drunk at the airport with you...

RB said...

Bite me, anonymous. Go back to Turd's blog.

P.S. My salary is hardly anything worth bragging about.

RB said...

Mowter -- I lost your phone number! I seriously wanted to call. Tell Stephen to email it to me.