Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Glögg: holiday fun for all

It's my second Christmas in my apartment, which means it's my second Christmas with my roommates, which means it's my second Christmas with Glögg. A lot of Glögg. I pronounce that pretty much like it's spelled, "gluog."

For those of you lacking any Swedish influence in your lives, Glögg is a hot, mulled wine sort of beverage, consumed in special mini-tea cup looking Glögg glasses. I'm not sure if there's a traditional time of day to drink the stuff, because it's been a round-the-clock affair in our place. I must say, Glögg first thing in the morning works wonders on a hangover.

I found the recipe below, so others might also partake in the fun. They're not kidding about the inexpensive wine bit -- my roomie made her last batch with Carlo Rossi (the kind you buy in the four liter bottles). She also puts raisins and almonds in her Glögg, which provides a nice little snack with your hot booze.

Ingredients
• 1 bottle of red wine (inexpensive)
• 1/4 - 1/2 cup (50 ml - 100 ml) vodka (optional)
• 5 - 20 whole cloves
• 1 large teaspoonful cardamom seeds
• 2 - 4 pieces (sticks) cinnamon
• 1 - 2 pieces ginger
• Peel from half a lemon
• 1/2 - 1 cup (125 - 250 ml) sugar
• 1 large teaspoonful vanilla sugar

Preparation
1. Crush the cinnamon and cardamom. Peel the lemon. Put all the spices and peel into a glass jar with the vodka.
2. Cover. Leave overnight. Strain the vodka, discard the spices.
3. Mix the spiced vodka with the wine and sugar.
4. Heat all the ingredients in a large saucepan until steaming hot. Do not boil! Stir and taste.
5. If not sweet enough, add more sugar. If too sweet, add more wine.

Chef's tip
The Glögg will be even spicier and will have a fuller taste if you bottle it and leave it for a week.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Aw, I miss the Glogg! Sounds like you guys are celebrating in style, as usual.

oodles said...

yummm... glogg.

oodles said...

forgot to add- yumm... around the clock drinking.

Load said...

this stuff will knock you on your ass. I made it for my family one year and I was butt faced after one glass.

Turd Ferguson said...

When aren't you butt faced after one glass?

And you had butt on your face? Gross!